WELLNESS innovation LEARNING CENTER
Explore the importance of physical fitness, nutrition, and agriculture in a space designed for the growth of healthy behaviors and fun and energizing activities.
The mission of this project is to teach students about education, healthcare, agriculture, building design & construction, and provide a Gold Standards Work Based Learning opportunity.
(Download RFP Addendum 1)
Wellness Innovation Learning Center abstract.
The site is approximately 2 acres located at 6200 S. Mooney Blvd., Visalia, CA as shown highlighted in red, The files below include a site plan as well as the grading and drainage plan of the project. Below is a conceptual 3D model of the site which includes the new Jim Vidak Education Center. Note that the model does not accurately represent the actual dimensions of the constructed site as this was created and developed during the schematic design phase. The site does not also represent the actual grading as shown in the drawings.
• Define mortality and morbidity and the factors that influence it (i.e. medical care, environment, socio-economics, genetics, behaviors).
• Define the city’s health ranking at multiple levels: locally, regionally, nationally.
• Identify and assess the health behaviors negatively impacting the elementary school’s community.
• Identify elementary school programs and interventions to address the identified health behaviors.
• Identify elementary school programs that can address negative health behaviors and/or enhance positive health behaviors.
• Understand and identify the components of agriculture that are important to implement in a wellness facility.
• Define components of agriculture that can be implemented in elementary school facilities.
• Define the mechanics of agriculture that can be used for instructional purposes in helping students learn about health and wellness.
• Define natural agricultural challenges.
• Define environmental factors that affect agricultural growth and processing.
• Understand how the facility’s curriculum and instructional functions will relate to education, healthcare, agriculture, and building design & construction.
• Define the learning spaces required for these functions.
• Identify the spatial requirements and relationships of the spaces.
• Identify the environmental and site related issues of the undeveloped property.
• Develop several site design solutions that address these issues.
• Develop several spatial analysis schemes of the learning spaces.
• Identify the building related issues of the new facility.
• Develop several building design solutions that address these issues.
• Define and understand appropriate building material components and connections.
• Develop probable cost estimates based on the facility design.
• Develop a construction schedule for the facility.
• Develop several construction models that clearly delineate the process of design development.